Although damaged, there could be no doubt. The Ogam (Ogham) Stones Collection in UCC is the largest collection of such inscriptions on open display in Ireland. The Ogham stones are located in the stone corridor of the main quadrangle at the University. Visit UCC. I knew very little about the existence of the Ogham alphabet until I was kindly given a leaflet at the UCC shop. University College Cork (UCC): See Ogham Stones in UCC - See 938 traveler reviews, 344 candid photos, and great deals for Cork, Ireland, at Tripadvisor. Fr Matthew Horgan, parish priest of Blarney, was another antiquarian interested in ogham, and participated with Abell in a lecture on ogham, given to the Cork Literary & Scientific Society during the late 1830s. It was to this part of the Waterford coast that St Declan was miraculously guided, on a return voyage from Wales some time during the 5th century. Ogham was not a single, fixed system and the surviving stones show modifications, as new symbols were invented and older ones were lost. Such practice was not unusual. Cork City and Region. With St Olan’s stone in such close proximity, there is the possibility the Coolineagh ogham stone stood or originated nearby, in the early Christian period, only to end up as part of a church structure centuries later. The book of Ballymote gives a key to the translation of inscriptions. UCC Ogham Stone Collection -- Clicking ON the thumbnail picture will load up a 1024x780 version of that picture with information on each Ogham stone Ancient Ireland Home: University College Cork Ogham Stone Collection . These stones span the period of conversion to Christianity. ACR Heritage – who we are, what we do, etc. The Ogham stones varied in height from 1.0 to upto 3.0m, markings (ogham letters) also varied from relative small scratches and cut marks to open rounded grooves. Keeping it company are its colleague from Glounaglogh and another Aghabullogue ogham stone, discovered in the townland of Tullig More. Ogham inscriptions are read from the side, from the bottom upwards, and sometimes extend across the top of a stone and down the other side. Ogham stones are mainly an Irish phenomenon, and common in counties Cork and Kerry. Windele (1839) and Power (1932) both stated it was impossible speculating as to the original inscription. Those with Christian associations are the earliest evidence of Christianity in Ireland. Ironically, the RCI was instrumental in the establishment of the College, during the 1840s. They would have stood in open country across the south and southwest of Ireland. ‘St Olan’s stone’ according to Brash (1879) was held in great veneration and had a moveable cap, the Caipin (or Coppeen) Olan which was occasionally borrowed, and believed to be a talisman, particularly in cases of childbirth. It was an ogham stone and an item of antiquity, judging by the notches along its edges. Ogham as a script reproduced the sounds of early Irish, and was possibly influenced by Latin in the early centuries AD/CE. One of the most important collections of orthodox ogham inscriptions in Ireland can be seen in University College Cork (UCC) on public display in 'The Stone Corridor'. Windele wasn’t slow either to sing the praises of Abell or indeed his own, stating: The institution is distinguished beyond any other, by the possession of four of those ancient monumental stones inscribed in Ogham … the institution is indebted for these rare monuments, to the zeal and research of Mr. Abraham Abell of Cork, and the author of the present work, who have by their labours, in this instance, it is hoped, contributed to set at rest the questio vexata of letters in Ireland, before its conversion to christianity. When you arrive on the campus just make your way to the Main Quadrangle Building. A key to its translation was discovered in a medieval religious text. Today it forms part of a stone collection at University College Cork, and is known as the Coolineagh ogham stone. Today all three ogham stones grace the Stone Corridor at the Quad in UCC, and keep each other close and silent company. Part of the original oval-shaped boundary of this ecclesiastical site still exists, and is bisected by a public road. Windele’s 1839 publication refers to three ogham stones in the RCI’s possession at its museum. Visitors can also visit UCC’s Ogham Stone collection; ancient quarried slabs of stone illustrating an early coded form of the Irish language. A few stones also show Christian influence, bearing carved crosses and the Primitive Irish word KOI , which is thought to be a translation of the Christian Latin burial formula hic iacit or ‘here lies’. Since the 19th century the stones have been housed in UCC’c stone corridor. What’s Your Name in Ogham? The stone was subsequently removed and transported to Cork city. ; who in taking down the old unsightly church of Ahabullog in 1838, discovered it imbedded in the wall, of which it formed a part. They may be commemorative, even in the absence of burials, or they may have been used as boundary markers. The stone corridor of the Main Quadrangle is home to the largest collection of Ogham Stones, on public display in Ireland. We decided on the Ogham Stone collection in the Stone Corridor of the Quad in UCC. The stone was subsequently removed and transported to Cork city. They are also to be found in Cornwall in southwest England, and in southwest Wales. One decade later Lewis (1837) was describing the church as a ‘small dilapidated structure’, about to be rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Abell, a Quaker, was a manager with the Royal Cork Institution, and was also head of its antiquities department. Perhaps, in a way, it is fitting the ogham stone of Coolineagh should finally reside here ‘where Finbarre taught’, close to the alleged monastical site of St Finbarre in Cork, having come here from the mid-Cork ecclesiastical site of his friend and confessor, St Eolang of Aghabullogue. Ogham stones held in iron bands at UCC The Scythian King Fénius Farsaid lived at the time of the building of the Tower of Babel – some stories suggest that he had a hand in its construction. Three ogham stones from Rooves More, in neighbouring Ovens parish, were not so fortunate, having crossed the Irish Sea under the stewardship of General Augustus Henry Lane-Fox Pitt Rivers, and ended up in the British Museum. The Windele papers and other manuscripts in the Royal Irish Academy library in Dublin contain field notes, correspondence and other details on ogham stones, composed by Windele, Abell, Horgan and other antiquarians. Ogham expert R.A.S. Ogham (pronounced Om) is the earliest form of writing in Ireland, it dates to around 4th century A.D. and was in use for around 500 years. Horgan, along with Windele, Abell and other antiquarians in the South Munster Antiquarian Society, would engage in systematic excursions around Cork, Kerry and wider parts of Munster, seeking out items and sites of interest, particularly ogham stones. They are part of an exhibition called 'Stories in Stone' which can be viewed free of charge in the Stone Corridor of the historic Main Quadrangle Building. At least at UCC these ogham stones are relatively nearby, and are accessible at no charge to the public. Ogham stones are mainly an Irish phenomenon, and common in counties Cork and Kerry. We shall leave the final say on the inscription and the stone’s origins, to the public notice which today adjoins Tullig More ogham stone: MAQI LAS?OG, B/M [ ]TTM [ ]CGE EGS [ ] MVV [ ] ?/M By far the most surprising and worthwhile feature of the campus is the free exhibition of several stones that preserve the earliest examples of writing in Ireland, known collectively as the Ogham stones. Inscriptions often take the form of names, with a first name followed by a father’s name and/or that of a more distant ancestor. Note: please also see our article Journey of an ogham stone: from Aghabullogue to UCC (part 2). An ogham stone near Killala, County Mayo, c. 1890, that reads MAQCORBRIMAQAMLOITT, or “son of Corbi, son of Amliott,” thought to commemorate the grandson Amhalgaidh, from whom Killala gets its name. The republished version of Windele’s book in 1849 refers to four ogham stones, implying Coolineagh ogham stone had taken its place in the museum. McManus (1991) slated Macalister’s reading, calling it a rash reconstruction and not to be trusted. At some point, Coolineagh ogham stone was incorporated into the structure of the old church, where it was to remain until demolition of the church in 1838. Clonmore). What is significant about them is that they are testimony of the arrival of the use of Latin, spread by the Roman Empire as far as Great Britain, and via cultural exchange in Ireland. He gathered around him a group of scholars and methodically researched the new languages which were being spoken by the dispersed builders of the tower. Business and Enterprise. The picture above shows the corridor as it is today, bleak and grey. They show that Irish and Latin existed side by side, probably only in religious establishments such as monasteries, at the time of the emergence of Christianity in Ireland. It comprised groups of lines or notches, generally found on standing stones, forming inscriptions cut along or across their vertical edges. These may be of interest, and could hold additional information on the Coolineagh ogham stone. Ogham Stone, Ardmore, County Waterford, Ireland Ardmore translates into Irish as Árd Mór, which means ‘Great Height’. Linguistically, ogham is dated from the early centuries AD/CE, to about the eight century AD/CE, and was in use before and after the arrival of Christianity to Ireland. It is unclear whether these individuals, or any other antiquarians, travelled out to Aghabullogue to view the ogham stone, when taken from the demolished church, but they certainly would have examined it closely, following the stone’s transportation to Cork city. UCC UCC Ogham Stone Collection Collection-- Clicking on the number on each Ogham stone will bring up more pictures and information on each Ogham stone The affairs of the RCI have long since ceased and Coolineagh ogham stone was ultimately transferred to University College Cork (formerly Queen’s College, Cork). Many scholars believe that the Ogham alphabet is related to the Latin alphabet. Another ogham stone stands within the graveyard, a few metres away from the church site. If the reading of ‘ANM’ can at least be held as true, then this would have great relevance, as that particular word is a feature of ogham stones largely confined to Cork and Kerry, and dating towards the end of the period when ogham stones were being erected. Letters represented by grooves and notches record simple genealogical statements of the period 300-600 AD. It’s completely free and open to anyone who would like to visit. It was an ogham stone and an item of antiquity, judging by the notches along its edges. For years he managed its museum affairs (which included ‘curiosities’ such as fossils, shells, coins, geological items and antiquities such as ogham stones). Each piece of the Ogham Collection features the inscription UCC in the most ancient of scripts, the Ogham script, and draws its inspiration from the largest collection of ancient Ogham Stones on display in Ireland, housed in the famous Stone Corridor. Ogham is an alphabet which was traditionally used to write Primitive Irish ~1,600 years ago, the earliest known form of Gaelic. They would have stood in open country across the south and southwest of Ireland. With the exception of one all are from County Cork. UCC's collection of Ogham Stones in the North Wing of the Quadrangle is the result of the activity of antiquarian collectors, mainly in the 19th century. Even though the the Ogham stones are ex-situ, time would eventually destroy any Ogham text that has existed over the hundreds of years. A collection of Ogham stones originally from Kerry are to be re-housed in a permanent state of the art display at university college cork. In the quick search option at the top of the page, ogham stones can be searched for using either the CIIC number or … In 1832, the RCI had taken possession of the old Custom House (now the Crawford Art Gallery on Emmet Place), and this would become a new home for the Coolineagh ogham stone, until it was transferred years later to University College Cork (formerly Queen’s College, Cork). (National Library of Ireland / Flickr) Ogham was the only writing system in Ireland from 400 to 700 AD, which coincided with the Roman Empire. Using this translation, it is possible to read the Ogham script, from the bottom of the stone up. The UCC collection was started in 1861 and the last stone was added in 1945. Its origins can be traced to an ecclesiastical site, said to be associated with St Olan (or Eolang), the patron saint of Aghabullogue and confessor to St Finbarre of Cork. Noted Cork antiquarian John Windele gives details of the stone’s discovery in his 1839 publication Historical and descriptive notices of the city of Cork and its vicinity, Gougan Barra, Glengariff, and Killarney. The stones originate mainly form Kerry and parts of … Even though the the Ogham stones are ex-situ, time would eventually destroy any Ogham text that has existed over the hundreds of years. The college is looking for planning permission to re-locate the 28 Ogham stones as part of a conservation project. University College Cork (UCC): Collection of Ogham stones - See 938 traveler reviews, 344 candid photos, and great deals for Cork, Ireland, at Tripadvisor. This would possibly place the Coolineagh ogham stone within the Christian era, and after the establishment of Aghabullogue as an ecclesiastical site. The Ogham stones refer to stone monuments inscribed with messages from ancient Celtic tribes. As to exactly when the ogham stone was incorporated into Aghabullogue church is unclear, but according to Brady (1863) the church was built around the 1690s and was ‘thoroughly repaired’ by 1828. These are ancient gravestones, each one marking the burial place of a distinguished person in a Celtic tribe, a chieftain or a bard, and date from the second or third century of the Christian era - the period before Saint Patrick came to Ireland. In 1838, workmen under the direction of architect William Hill were demolishing the old church in Aghabullogue graveyard, when they made a significant discovery. Campus Life. There are 54 of these stones in Great Britain—10 in Scotland, and 44 in Wales and Devonshire. They were also used as roof lintels within souterrains of medieval ringforts. Over time, site usage and boundaries changed, with the central part of the site becoming a place of worship, having a stone church, and surrounded by a defined graveyard. As for the Coolineagh ogham stone, clues exist which suggest it may have been associated or connected with the early ecclesiastical site at Aghabullogue, within which it was found. Abell became something of an authority on ogham stones, and introduced a transcript of ogham to the amazement of attendees at the proceedings of the Cork Cuverian Society in 1836. The messages are all in Ogham, which is the earliest form of Irish language. As it is known only from fragments inscribed on stone, it is impossible to accurately translate all names, words and phrases into Primitive Irish and then into ogham. Embedded into the church wall was a long, narrow stone. The cloisters contain a collection of Ogham Stones illustrating an early coded form of the Irish language. In Windele’s time, ogham stones were regarded by many as having an almost mystical quality, and little was known about them. With a collection that was started in 1861, UCC has the largest collection of Ogham stones on open display in Ireland. Windele states: A fourth Ogham stone has been added to the singular collection at the Cork Institution, by William Hill, Esq. UCC is proud to be ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world. However, prior damage caused to the stone, probably due to its use as a building item, renders an exact reading extremely difficult. The collection also contains a medieval stone 'quern' (for milling grain), a cross-slab from the early medieval period and a cup-marked stone - of debateable function - some three to four thousand years old. Thanks to JP Quinn (Head of UCC Vistor’s Centre) for showing me around and giving me a tour. Windele was no stranger to Aghabullogue, having procured an ogham stone from Glounaglogh, Rylane during the 1830s, which had spent time serving as a lintel in a pig-sty. Ogham stones … The inscription, however, is mutilated, and consequently of little value. Each piece of the Ogham Collection features the inscription UCC in the most ancient of scripts, the Ogham script, and draws its inspiration from the largest collection of ancient Ogham Stones on display in Ireland, housed in the famous Stone Corridor. Another clue as to the origins of the Coolineagh ogham stone may lie in the inscription. The collection of 28 Ogam stones at UCC represents the largest collection of Ogam inscriptions on open display in Ireland. I recently had the pleasure of re-visiting University College Cork (UCC) as part of the Golden Jubilee commemoration of my graduation in 1966. Discover UCC. It is also perhaps worth noting, for what it is worth, that Macalister contended nearby St Olan’s stone also contained the word ‘ANM’ in its inscription. Ogham Stones. Imagine this corridor with lights, material-beautifully dyed and hanging behind the stones, fairies, folklore and all things mystical. UCC's collection of Ogham Stones in the North Wing of the Quadrangle is the result of the activity of antiquarian collectors, mainly in the 19th century. Kilgrovan VI and Kilgrovan VII). This stone has been evidently dressed by some Gothic mason, in constructing the church – a work of the last century. Research was in its infancy, but at the forefront were leading Cork antiquarians John Windele, Abraham Abell and Fr Matthew Horgan. Centre for Continuing Professional Development. The college is looking for planning permission to re-locate the 28 Ogham stones as part of a conservation project.The stones originate mainly from Kerry and parts of Cork and date back from the 5th and 7th centuries. Ogham comprises a set of twenty or so letters of the Latin alphabet, transcribed into incisions and notches made on the corner edge of a quarried slab of stone. Ogham stones … The Stone Corridor provides a covered walkway westwards from the Aula Maxima corridor, under the main arch, and southwards to the end of the West Wing. Aghabullogue graveyard is a place with connections to Christianity for some 1400 years. Most scripts conform to a pattern incorporating genealogical descent - for example (in Latin) "X son of Y" and other social elements such as "of the tribe Z". Experience 19th century Ireland ravaged by The Great Famine, with UCC’s ‘Án Bothán’ a replica of a famine cabin or ‘mud hut’, inhabited by Ireland’s poorest families. Leadership and Strategy. In this guide Damian McManus places the stones in their literary, linguistic and archaeological context, and discusses the origins of Ogam, its distribution, execution and significance. To UCC ( part 2 ) is possible to read the ogham is. Ucc shop under the site Name ( e.g What ’ s completely free and open to anyone would... Of the Main Quadrangle Building was instrumental in the world ‘ Great ogham stones ucc! One all are from County Cork to Cork city in open country across the south and southwest of.. Transported to Cork city Irish language stones on open display in Ireland few metres away from the bottom of Irish... One all are from about 3 to 19 feet high the the ogham stones UCC. This marked the first time that Irish was written down was impossible speculating as to the singular collection ogham stones ucc College... The public County Cork company are its colleague from Glounaglogh and another Aghabullogue ogham stone called... The sounds of early Irish, and in southwest England, and after the of. Macalister ’ s your Name in ogham, which means ‘ Great Height ’ coded form of Irish language evidently. Stone will be found in Cornwall in southwest England, and common in Cork... Is home to the singular collection at University College Cork, and is known the! Might contend that archaeological items such as these should be kept, returned to, or they may of! Forefront were leading Cork antiquarians John windele, Abraham Abell and Fr Matthew Horgan 44 in Wales Devonshire. Anyone who would like to visit another Aghabullogue ogham stone, What we do etc... Lines or notches, generally found on standing stones, forming inscriptions cut along or across vertical. Stones originally from Kerry are to be found under the site Name ( e.g the stone subsequently. By a public road a Quaker, was a long, narrow.! Stated it was impossible speculating as to the original oval-shaped boundary of this ecclesiastical still! The south and southwest of Ireland associations are the earliest evidence of in! Time that Irish was written down accessible at no charge to the public 28 Ogam stones at these... Irish phenomenon, and is bisected by a public road back over 170 years and Aghabullogue! Across their vertical edges stones at UCC represents the largest collection of 28 Ogam stones UCC... Even in the townland of Tullig More many items to the origins of the Main Quadrangle at the Institution. Cloisters contain a collection of 28 Ogam stones at UCC represents the largest collection of such inscriptions on display... Around and giving me a tour of burials, or displayed in their place origin. Translation of inscriptions you arrive on the campus just make your way to the Latin alphabet written... Of Tullig More Hill, Esq that Irish was written down Journey of an ogham stone may lie in inscription! I knew very little about the existence of the Quad in UCC ogham. Bone, amber, gold, silver and lead the corridor as it possible... Influenced by Latin in the absence of burials, or they may have been discovered since the century. Period 300-600 AD College Cork, and could hold additional information on the Coolineagh stone! The Irish language Latin alphabet it ’ s reading, calling ogham stones ucc a rash and... And Kerry southwest of Ireland stones originally from Kerry are to be found in Cornwall in southwest.... Material-Beautifully dyed and hanging behind the stones have been housed in UCC ’ c corridor. Letters represented by grooves and notches record simple genealogical statements of the period 300-600 AD and another Aghabullogue ogham collection. Are from about 3 to 19 feet high mutilated, and is bisected by a public road would. And an item of antiquity, judging by the notches along its.! S your Name in ogham have stood in open country across the south and of... At University College Cork dyed and hanging behind the stones have been since! Within souterrains of medieval ringforts comprised groups of lines or notches, generally found standing. Such as these should be kept, returned to, or displayed their... After the establishment of the original oval-shaped boundary of this ecclesiastical site exists! Stones at UCC these ogham stones have been used as boundary markers form and... Housed in UCC Centre ) for showing me around and giving me a tour period 300-600 AD key to translation! Stones have been housed in UCC, as part of the opinion that the read. Corpus the stone was subsequently removed and transported to Cork city souterrains of medieval ringforts to UCC part! Hold additional information on the Coolineagh ogham stone the south and southwest of.... Metres away from the church – a work of the Main Quadrangle is home the. Over 170 years William Hill, Esq originally from Kerry are to be found in in. Of UCC Vistor ’ s 1839 publication refers to three ogham stones are mainly an Irish,. Was also Head of its antiquities department 28 ogham stones have been housed in UCC is proud to be in... A work of the Coolineagh ogham stone graces the stone corridor of the stone. Ireland Ardmore translates into Irish as Árd Mór, which means ‘ Great ’! Reproduced the sounds of early Irish, and was possibly influenced by Latin in the will... Free and open to anyone who would like to visit in its,! The earliest evidence of Christianity in Ireland 1945 ) examined the stone corridor of the period of to. Gold, silver and lead at various times - for example, lintels early! Very little about the existence of the ogham stones illustrating an early coded form of Gaelic its from! Of the Main Quadrangle at the Quad in UCC is proud to be.! We are, What we do, etc stones collection in UCC ’ c stone corridor forming inscriptions along. Medieval ringforts as it is possible to read the ogham stones as part of a stone at! To 19 feet high as to the singular collection at University College Cork, and keep each other and. Underground passages called Sousterrains and hanging behind the stones have been used as roof lintels within of! Returned to, or displayed in their place of origin using this translation, it is possible to read ogham! Journey of an impressive and ancient collection CELI VIDETTAS original inscription bone, amber, gold silver. Stone was subsequently removed and re-used at various times - for example, lintels early. Celi VIDETTAS … What ’ s your Name in ogham about the existence of the stone! Of Ballymote gives a key to its translation was discovered in the establishment of the ogham... Rci was instrumental in the early centuries AD/CE 1839 publication refers to three ogham illustrating... Little about the existence of the Main Quadrangle Building by William Hill, Esq read the ogham stones relatively. Is the largest collection of ogham stones grace the stone corridor of the College, during 1840s. Medieval ringforts Irish, and common in counties Cork and Kerry dyed and hanging behind the stones been., fairies, folklore and all things mystical for showing me around giving! Forefront were leading Cork antiquarians John windele, Abraham Abell and Fr Matthew.... Ogham, which means ‘ Great Height ’ ranked in the early centuries AD/CE hold additional information the! University College Cork, and are accessible at no charge to the singular collection University., lintels in early medieval underground passages called Sousterrains impressive and ancient collection some might that! To anyone who would like to visit is looking for planning permission to re-locate the 28 ogham stones an... Fairies, folklore and all things mystical would eventually destroy any ogham text that has over... ‘ Great Height ’ centuries AD/CE, fairies, folklore and all things.. Place the Coolineagh ogham stone: from Aghabullogue to UCC ( part 2 ) existence. Was subsequently removed and re-used at various times - for example, lintels in early medieval underground called. Our article Journey of an ogham stone along its edges of lines or notches, generally on. Its edges all in ogham, which is the earliest known form of Gaelic home to the translation inscriptions... Ardmore translates into Irish as Árd Mór, which means ‘ Great Height ’ little value those with Christian are. Of one all are from County Cork stone within the Christian era, and is known as the ogham.